Sunday, 30 December 2012

Kindle here I come...

So following the receipt of not one, but 6 identical rejection emails from the same agent, I have decided that it is time to try self-publishing.

I may not have exhausted all of my agency options yet, but I have been rejected by all that I applied to. It's not that I find the rejections too demoralising - I know that it's a very subjective industry and that countless authors were rejected many times before being published. I have a great quote by Eva Ibbotson:
"the only thing is to keep on writing and forget about the response"
So I know not to let the rejections upset me too much. 

What I find more frustrating, is the delay between sending my work off and getting the rejection. I know that if I send my opening and synopsis out to any more agents, I would be waiting nearly two months for a response, and - best case scenario - that would be for the complete manuscript. I would then have to wait for feedback on that and, if the agency liked it, I would then have to wait even longer for them to contact publishers...

Maybe I'm just being too impatient, but I've already been sitting on my complete manuscript for a year and I'm really ready to do something with it! 

So I am turning to Amazon...

This way, it gets published immediately, I get 70% royalties, and - with the recent success of books like 'Beautiful Disaster' I know that amazing things can come from self-publishing. Admittedly, I think my goal is 100 sales... 

All I need to do now is give the manuscript a final read through and create a cover...

1 comment:

  1. I too have had several manuscripts rejected my literary agencies and have turned to kindle and amazon. Also try createspace that way you can do give aways on goodreads. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete