Wednesday 13 April 2016

Why We Love... Blown Away

Picture Book Review: Blown Away


I first heard about Blown Away when it won the Waterstones Children's Book Prize last year. For some reason, the fact that it won the prize made me assume that I wouldn't enjoy it; I didn't want to read a stuffy 'critics choice' that was bound to be too artsy and clever for my lively toddler. I could not have been more wrong. 

When I saw Blown Away in the library, I decided we should give it a try. It was free to borrow, so we had nothing to lose in trying it. I am so pleased we did. Blown Away is brilliant. It's funny; it's easy to read aloud (it scans beautifully); and the pictures are adorable. As soon as I finished reading it, I turned back to the start and read it again. 

It's got the seal of approval from my toddler too - she's brought it over to me a number of times asking for the 'penguin story' (she's one and a half, so I'm translating here; what she actually says sounds a bit more like 'pen in stor', but it's enough for me to work out what she wants). Invariably, when I get to the end, she says 'again' and flicks back to the beginning. 

The moral behind this blog post is that picture book awards clearly know what they are talking about and I will never doubt them again. I'll be buying a copy of this year's winner, The Bear and the Piano, very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment