Wednesday 5 April 2017

Why We Love: The Darkest Dark

It's been ages since I posted a picture book review and I'm really keen to do them more regularly since I spend most of my day reading them at the moment. Recently, my daughter and I have been enjoying The Darkest Dark by Chris Hadfield.


Before I went on maternity leave, I worked in a space-themed secondary school (yes, that is a thing. There's actually two of them in the UK!). Space (and physics in general) is a pretty big deal in our house and my daughter has been sung the astronomically correct version of Twinkle Twinkle since she was a few weeks old.


The Darkest Dark has been a great addition to our growing collection of space-themed picture books. The story is sweet, and incredibly appropriate at a time when we're struggling to get our daughter to sleep in her own bed. The illustrations are beautiful and it's been a great way for us to talk about space travel and the moon landing. We had great fun walking around the kitchen like astronauts after reading TDD this morning, although there were a few appearances from Zoe and Beans' moony moles, so there wasn't a lot of scientific accuracy!


We would definitely recommend TDD to all budding astronauts, or toddlers who are afraid of the dark. Are there any space-themed picture books you've enjoyed and would recommend? Please leave me a comment if you have any suggestions; I'm always on the look out for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment