Wednesday 6 June 2018

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

So I'm going to try a new style for reviewing. Up until now, I've given you a general overview of the novel - what I liked etc. (I never tell you what I didn't like anyway, as I can't bring myself to be negative - if I hate a book, I just don't review it!) But this year, I've been really focussing on reading like a writer (I mentioned it in my review of The Belles) and I think it would be really interesting to blog about the things I pick up from the books I read, and where their strengths lie from a writing perspective. I'm going to start with The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue, which I finished today and gave me the idea when I wanted to write down everything I loved about it from a writing perspective while I was half-way through. 

So here is why I think Gentleman's Guide is a writer's must-read:

  • It's a brilliant example of how to create a convincing character arc. I was fully invested in Monty and his growth throughout the novel. 
  • It shows you that characters can be irritating, but still win the reader over. There were times in this book I could have screamed at Monty, but they didn't make me love him any less. 
  • Diversity is a big part of this book. I don't think I've ever read such a diverse historical fiction novel. 
  • Voice is another strong point, but I think this ties in to the strength of Monty's characterisation.
  • The way Lee writes about love and relationships had me highlighting so many passages on my kindle.  

So that's it. I'll probably make these longer as I go, but I'm hoping this way of blogging will encourage me to update more frequently, as it's something I'm already thinking about as I read. 

Have you read Gentleman's Guide? If so, what did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment