Wednesday 25 September 2019

Writing Wednesdays

I have my first online class for my MA tonight and I'm not sure how much time I'm going to get to spend on my WIP over the next few months (an irony, given I'm working on an MA in creative writing...) So here is a little snippet of what I've managed to add this week.


Lis didn’t regret her decision. 
Not really. 
Not deep down, wherever her conscious lurked. 
Not when she thought about the repercussions of her father’s actions, or the oath she had been preparing to swear to become a fully-licensed apothecary.
But when she looked at the venom in Astyanna’s eyes, and the cold, condescending weight of Wilf’s gaze, her faith wavered ever so slightly. When she thought about the dangers that lay ahead, the knowledge that Cass was still in the Fear Guard’s grasp, it wobbled a little more. 
Minute by minute, hour by hour, as the trio ventured forwards in frosty silence, panic began to mount in the pit of Lis’s belly, telling her that she had made a mistake worse than leaving Cass behind in South Vesta. 
Eero had been within their grasp, and she had let him escape. 
How did she really think this was all going to end? With a nice sit down over tea and Eero agreeing that he was in the wrong and promising to be a better person? Even fairytales didn’t have such neat, naive endings. Where the Guard ventured, violence followed. It was as inevitable as the evening tide. She had been foolish to push against it with hopeless idealism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment