Tuesday 29 October 2019

Picture This: Knock Knock Alien


We already have a few other stories illustrated by Nick East, and as I said in my review of Look Up - we love a book about space! - so I was immediately drawn to this in the library stacks. 

Knock Knock Alien is a slightly different take on a typical counting story, as it isn't restricted by a ridged counting structure and is a bit freer in form. We love the 'Ten Little...' books, but it was really refreshing to read a counting story that wasn't the same on every page. 

The artwork was fun, there's plenty to look at on each page - I had to wait after I'd finished the words so that each page could be properly examined and commented on by my two-year-old before I turned over to the next. 

The alien names are really fun to read aloud, and there's plenty of onomatopoeia too, which always works so well in picture books. 

We've only had this book for two days, but have already read in a dozen times. It's a huge hit and I think we'll be reading it again and again before it goes back to the library. 


Knock Knock Alien is written by Caryl Hart and illustrated by Nick East

No comments:

Post a Comment