Thursday 24 October 2019

Picture This: Look Up


My five year old is going to be an astronaut. I'm pretty certain I've mentioned this already on the blog, but she reminds me about it at least five times a day, so I thought I would pass the message on again to you too. Because of this, I am always on the look out for space-themed stories, especially ones about aspiring astronauts. 

I have seen Look Up going around twitter for a few months and knew she would really enjoy it, so I was very excited when I spotted it in the library! We had recently read the Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls entry for Mae Jemison, so it was a great crossover to find a reference to her in Look Up. 

Look Up follows aspiring astronaut, Rocket, as she prepares to watch an exciting meteor shower. As Rocket walks through the town with her older brother, she tells everyone she encounters about the upcoming event (my physics teacher husband particularly enjoyed all of the scientific facts included along the way). The only person she can't make excited enough to look up into space is her older brother, whose gaze is always glued to his phone. 

Look Up is as much a story about sibling relationships as it is about space, and I'm sure Rocket's predicament is one a lot of young children will find all too familiar. This was a superb story and one we will definitely borrow again. 


Look Up is written by Nathan Bryon and illustrated by Dapo Adeola

No comments:

Post a Comment