Thursday 19 March 2020

Picture This: Most of the Better Natural Things in the World


Sometimes with picture books, less is more. Most of the Better Natural Things in the World is a visually stunning tour of the Earth's geographical features which leaves the pictures to tell the story. 

With only one word on each page, the illustrations take centre stage, and I could easily sit and look at them for as long as I would usually spend reading the text. My three-year-old especially liked the Oasis and Taiga, and my favourite page was the Chaparral. The same tiger features on each page, carrying a chair on his back, and we had fun guessing what he might be up to, until his journey comes to an end on the final page of the book.

I came across geographical terms I hadn't heard before, but the detail in the illustrations gave me a clear idea of what each feature looked like, and the back two pages of the book contain a really useful glossary (great for when young readers ask what the words mean and you're not sure how to describe them!) This story is both informative and beautiful. It is very special and is one we will enjoy looking at again and again. 


Most of the Better Natural Things in the World is written by Dave Eggers and illustrated by Angel Chang

Thank you Abrams & Chronicle Books for sending us such a stunning book to review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment