Wednesday 20 May 2020

Date Me, Bryson Keller


Everyone knows about the dare: Each week, Bryson Keller must date someone new--the first person to ask him out on Monday morning. Few think Bryson can do it. He may be the king of Fairvale Academy, but he's never really dated before.

Until a boy asks him out, and everything changes.

Kai Sheridan didn't expect Bryson to say yes. So when Bryson agrees to secretly go out with him, Kai is thrown for a loop. But as the days go by, he discovers there's more to Bryson beneath the surface, and dating him begins to feel less like an act and more like the real thing. Kai knows how the story of a gay boy liking someone straight ends. With his heart on the line, he's awkwardly trying to navigate senior year at school, at home, and in the closet, all while grappling with the fact that this "relationship" will last only five days. After all, Bryson Keller is popular, good-looking, and straight ... right? {goodreads summary}

I knew the moment I read the synopsis that I would love this story and it did not disappoint. Date Me, Bryson Keller is so cute.

I loved the concept - it was so fun and offered a different twist on some great YA tropes. Kai and Bryson made such a great couple and I smiled so much while I was reading- their relationship is adorable and heartwarming. 

Kai was a fantastic protagonist - I felt for him so much with the blushing and social awkwardness and there were a few passages I highlighted because they felt so much like my own internal monologue! van Whye really gets inside Kai's head, giving him a realistic teenage voice that readers will love. The side characters, like Kai's sister Yazz and his best friends, were also really strong. 

Beyond the cute romantic plot, Date Me, Bryson Keller also explores the complexities of coming out, especially when it happens before you're ready. This is a book I would like to see in secondary school libraries everywhere, accessible to all the teens who need to read it, who will find it comforting and understanding. The author's note at the end of this story was hugely impactful and highlighted exactly why stories like Date Me, Bryson Keller are so important. I can't wait to read whatever van Whye writes next. 

I was provided with an eARC of Date Me, Bryson Keller for review

No comments:

Post a Comment