Monday 22 June 2020

Here Lie the Secrets


My recent reads have included YA set in the Dominican Republic, Paris and now New York. I am taking full advantage of my lockdown travel options and bringing little glimpses of the world into my tiny English garden. Here are three reasons I would recommend heading to NYC with Here Lie the Secrets:

1. This story was so tense! I had to stay up late to finish it because I couldn't go to sleep until I knew what was going on. It has all the suspense you'd expect from a story about ghosts and the paranormal. Settings are also used to great, atmospheric effect throughout. 

2. At the centre of this novel is an exploration of grief, and how we cope with the loss of those closest to us. Believing that a loved one remains close by is a thought that brings comfort to many. Young explores this solace in a way that is touching and heartfelt. 

3. I loved the psychology woven through this story, especially the exploration of why we react to certain circumstances in the way we do. The central characters are scientists, rather than 'ghost hunters' and they always consider every possible solution - both scientific and supernatural. There was a great range of characters and view points. Here Lie the Secrets manages to be tense and creepy, without feeling melodramatic. 

Thank you Little Tiger Books for sending me a copy to review

No comments:

Post a Comment