Monday 19 January 2015

The Male Perspective...

So my 2014 reading round up revealed that my reading has a definite female focus. Not that there is anything wrong with this, I just like to make sure my reading is really varied, so that I don't like to feel like I'm reading only books by female authors, or only books by male ones. YA tends to be dominated by female authors, so I often end up reading a lot more of them. The following are some YA books, either by male authors or just with male protagonists which I'm going to try and read this year.

1) The Scorch Trials 
I read the Maze Runner at the end of the year and am really looking forward to checking out it's sequel.

2) The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Has been on my to-read list ever since I saw the film. One of the very few occasions where I've checked out the movie before reading the novel.

3) Paper Towns
This will be my fourth John Green novel. I tried to borrow the library copy but his books are never in stock.

4) More Thank This
This will be my third Patrick Ness novel

5) Say Her Name
He won Queen of Teen 2014 and my sister heard him at a YA talk in London last year and says he's amazing.

6) The Infinite Sea
I loved the 5th Wave and am excited to find out what comes next.

7) Gone
My students love this book and I picked it up for 99p on a Kindle sale recently, so I will definitely give it a try soon.


There are also four male authors on my Classics TBR list, taking the total up to eleven. It perhaps interesting to note that most of my 'classic' books are by men and most of my YA books are by women. There's probably a full blog post in this, which I will work on once I've thought about it a bit more...

Do you find you read more female authors and about female characters more than male ones? Does it even matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment