Wednesday 13 May 2015

March and April Reading Catch-Up

It's been a while since I've done one of these posts! I have been hard at work writing though, which is one of the best reasons for not getting time to blog. I also haven't read as many books over the past few months. My daughter is on the move now, so looking after her is non stop and I've also been reading a lot more stories on my phone, via Wattpad. I'm going to write another post soon on my favourite Wattpad reads, but here are the traditional books I have enjoyed recently:

  

  

The Red Queen: Definitely worth the hype. This book wasn't what I expected, but I really enjoyed it. It has the expected, dystopian world class segregation, with some X-Men-style powers thrown in. 

Bring Up Bebe: A must-read if you are a new parents. Part memoir, part parenting handbook, completely hilarious, honest and helpful. 

Fangirl: A really fun read. I love read fanfiction, even though I've never really tried to write any, and I felt like I could really relate to the characters in this book. It reminded me so much of waiting for Harry Potter books to come out.  

Red Rising: A sci-fi Hunger Games is the best way I can think of to describe this one. Great world building and I really cared about the characters. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series soon. 

Only Ever Yours: Everyone should read this book. It is so, so important as a statement about our culture and obsession with image and celebrity. A fantastic feminist book, but I think really important for boys to read too. When I go back to work next month, this is the book I will be championing and putting on all my reading lists. 

The Winner's Crime: This is a brilliant sequel. If you haven't checked this series out yet, I really recommend you do. It's set in a world a little like Ancient Rome and deals with politics, love and lies. Just watch out for the HUGE cliff hanger at the end of this book!

May has been a much-anticipated book month for me, with the release of The Heir and A Court of Thorns and Roses. I am very jealous of everyone who got to read and review them in advance as I can't wait to get started on them myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment