Saturday 6 May 2017

Half Lost

Half Lost by Sally Green


The Alliance is losing the war, and their most critical weapon, seventeen-year-old witch Nathan Byrn, is losing his mind. Nathan’s tally of kills is rising, and yet he’s no closer to ending the tyrannical rule of the Council of White Witches in England. Nor is Nathan any closer to his personal goal: getting revenge on Annalise, the girl he once loved before she committed an unthinkable crime. An amulet protected by the extremely powerful witch Ledger could be the tool Nathan needs to save himself and the Alliance, but this amulet is not so easily acquired. And lately Nathan has started to suffer from visions: a vision of a golden moment when he dies, and of an endless line of Hunters, impossible to overcome. Gabriel, his closest companion, urges Nathan to run away with him, to start a peaceful life together. But even Gabriel’s love may not be enough to save Nathan from this war, or from the person he has become. {goodreads summary}

I put off reading Half Lost for a very long time, mostly out of concern that it wasn't going to end the way I wanted (I'm so team Gabriel that I don't read a book without my Gabriel bookmark).

“You've been away a long time. Were you lost?

I was wounded, not lost.”

Half Lost follows Nathan learning how to use his new powers and master his all-consuming desire for vengeance against Annalise, culminating in the final battle against Sol and the Hunters.

Gabriel turns to Greatorex, saying, ‘It’s him. But still feel free to shoot him.”

Nathan is a really interesting character - he's dark, with a bloodlust and violence that's unusual in a YA protagonist. He's volatile and angry, often pushing those closest to him away. Green's writing style really helps you to get into his head, her narrative voice matching perfectly with the way you would expect him to speak to you.

“I’m tired of your revenge, your anger, your hate. The war is killing you.” 

The ending: oh wow! I don't want to say very much, as I'd hate to give anything away. It's one of the best series endings I've come across in a while though, even if it did break my heart. I can't wait to read whatever Green publishes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment