Tuesday 29 January 2019

The Smoke Thieves by Sally Green


A princess, a traitor, a hunter and a thief. Four teenagers with the fate of the world in their hands. Four nations destined for conflict. 

In Brigant, Princess Catherine prepares for a loveless political marriage arranged by her brutal and ambitious father. In Calidor, downtrodden servant March seeks revenge on the prince who betrayed his people. In Pitoria, feckless Edyon steals cheap baubles for cheaper thrills as he drifts from town to town. And in the barren northern territories, thirteen-year-old Tash is running for her life as she plays bait for the gruff demon hunter Gravell. {goodreads}

I still need to catch up on a few reviews from 2018 and here's the first. I'm trying out a new format to help me write them more quickly!

Three things I loved about The Smoke Thieves:

1. The multiple view points in this novel weave together seamlessly. I was constantly wondering who was going to encounter each other next. All of Green's characters are so well developed - each could be the star of their own novel, but it's fun seeing them come together and interacting with each other.

2. The plot works so well, and narrative strands come together neatly. If you struggle with plotting and pace (and I know I often do) this is a great novel to analyse.

3. Rich fantasy world building, which I feel we've only scraped the surface of so far. I have so many questions and am looking forward to getting answers in the next novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment