Wednesday 2 January 2019

The State of Sorrow by Melinda Salisbury



A people laid low by grief and darkness.
A cut-throat race for power and victory.
A girl with everything and nothing to lose… {goodreads}

My first novel of 2019 was one I started at the end of 2018. State of Sorrow was a fantastic way to start the year and has really set the bar high for whatever I try to read next!

Three things I really loved about State of Sorrow (other than the clever title and beautiful cover) are:

1. The subtly of the world building. In particular, I really enjoyed all the little details about animals, how the buildings were constructed and the climate. I felt fully immersed in the world of the novel and can't wait to explore more of it in book two.

2. The emotional impact. There was one scene, part way through, where my chest ached for Sorrow - Salisbury's writing caused me physical pain. I think the only books that have done that before have been Harry Potters. 

3. The ending - because how could I review a Melinda Salisbury book and not talk about the ending? She is queen of last minute twists and cliffhangers and State of Sorrow did not disappoint!

If you're looking for an immersive, UKYA fantasy with a strong emotional undercurrent, State of Sorrow will be one of your favourite novels of the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment