Monday 22 October 2018

A Few Classics

As well as reading some brilliant YA and adult fiction over the summer, I also read a few classic novels. 



I spent a week in the French Alps in August and decided to read some French classics while I was there. Candide by Voltaire was definitely not for me - I've decided to avoid satire from now on as I always hated it at uni as well. Madam Bovary, on the other hand, was superb. I loved it from start to finish. 

It would be a contender for my favourite classic of the year, but I followed it by reading A Room with a View, which I enjoyed even more. This is the second Forster novel I have read and I'm making plans to read A Passage to India soon. His novels remind me a little of Jane Austen's (without the guaranteed happily ever after, and a lot more social commentary). 

No comments:

Post a Comment