Wednesday 22 July 2020

The Unadoptables


When a sinister merchant tries to purchase them to work on his ship, five unadoptable orphans in Amsterdam set out in search of freedom and family. With superb villains, plenty of mystery and a lot of heart, The Unadoptables is a story everyone will love. Here are three reasons I adored it:

1. The stakes in this story kept getting higher and higher. Every time the orphans looked like they were safe, something else would happen to threaten their happiness. This story kept me up - I couldn't go to sleep until I reached the end. 

2. The mystery element kept me on the edge of my seat. When I wasn't reading The Unadoptables, I was thinking about it and trying to work out what the orphans would do next. I came up with so many theories about Milou's family that I could have started by own Book of Theories! The mystery surrounding Milou added to the dark, uneasy atmosphere in The Unadoptables, giving it a brilliant Gothic flare.  

3. Milou, Sem, Lotta, Egg and Fenna were so special. They were all well developed and had their own unique stories and personalities.  I cared about all of them and desperately wanted them to be happy. Each had their own dreams which wove into the central plot and all five grew over the course of the story. 

This creepy MG has a little bit of everything; from found-families, to puppets shows and fortune tellers. It's one of the best books I have read this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment