Monday 3 August 2020

Dear Emmie Blue


I don't even know where to start with this review. I have been walking around with my Kindle glued to my face because I couldn't bear to put this down and leave Emmie for a moment. I have so many feelings and I'm worried this review is going to be a random, jumbled mess of how much I loved this novel and these characters. 

Dear Emmie Blue is a heartwarming and perfect story of love, friendship and loneliness. It made my lips hurt from smiling and my heart ache with sadness. Through Emmie's story, Louis explores how we allow memories and experiences to define us, and the importance of connections and friendships in helping us to move on. I loved the concept of the balloon, Emmie, Lucas and Eliot's friendship, the mixtapes, the secrets, the stars. Everything about this novel was so special. 

Emmie is a wonderful protagonist who was so easy to relate to and I loved seeing her grow over the course of the novel. Even though she's a "closed book" to those around her, Louis shows her emotions so vividly in her narrative that I felt for her in every chapter. The side characters were equally well defined, with their own motivations, problems and desires - I especially loved Rosie and Fox.

I bought Somewhere Close to Happy straight away so that I could read more of Louis' wonderful writing. She will be joining Mhairi McFarlane on my list of auto-buy contemporary authors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment