Tuesday 4 August 2020

Picture This: She Rex



Maisy wants to play dinosaurs with her brother, Ed. But Ed says dinosaurs are only for boys, until Maisy introduces him to the fiercest girlosaur of them all - the lizard queen, She Rex - that is!

She Rex is a great story which challenges gender stereotypes and makes it clear that all toys are for girls and boys. I have definitely heard people say that my daughter won't be interested in dinosaurs 'because she's a girl' but, like Maisy, she loves them all the same. I loved that She Rex wasn't a 'girly' dinosaur like Ed imagines, either. "She hunts! She eat! She roars! She fights! Girl dinosaurs have equal bites." 

Maisy is a fun, determined protagonist who I would love to see in other picture books. 

Allwright's colourful artwork is brilliant and a real highlight in this story. Her dinosaurs have so much personality and they are lots of fun to look at. 

Thank you Bloomsbury for letting me review She Rex on NetGalley - I'm looking forward to buying a physical copy!

She Rex is written by Michelle Robinson and illustrated by Deborah Allwright

No comments:

Post a Comment