Monday 24 August 2020

Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know


Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know is full of twists, romance and art. Here are three reasons I think everyone should read it this summer:

1. Khayyam is a superb protagonist. She jumps off the page with every word. I loved her quick humour, sarcasm and her very relatable insecurities. She cares so much about Leila, and her story, ensuring that the reader can't help but care too. She also brilliantly analyses who gets remembered by history and why. She's a brilliant YA heroine I think teenagers will love.

2. One of my favourite things about Love, Hate & Other Filters were all the technical details about cinematography, that really reflected Maya's love for the subject. In Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know, Ahmed goes into the same level of immersive detail with art, poetry and literature. I don't know very much about art, so I love coming across artist and their works in literature as it encourages me to discover more about them. This story has had me googling Delacroix, digging out books with Byron poems in and wanting to read Dumas for the first time. I'm also keen to read some of the beautiful Persian poetry features in the novel. 

3. The setting is beautiful. Even in the height of Summer abandoned by the Parisians, Paris is a perfect story location - especially for one packed with swoonworthy romance (and very yummy cakes). My family and I had a long conversation afterwards about how much better Orangina tastes in the little glass bottles you can always buy in France, and the descriptions of the patisseries were mouthwatering!

If you like romance, dreamy locations, art or cake, you will love this story! 

No comments:

Post a Comment