Wednesday 26 August 2020

The Reckless Afterlife of Harriet Stoker


Another amazing story from Lauren James, which kept me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end.

The Reckless Afterlife of Harriet Stoker is incredibly tense, and I raced through it, desperate to know what would happen next. This story is full of twists and turns. It has a complicated, non linear plot which it was so fun to follow, and is something I've come to expect from a Lauren James book, after the time travel and distorted space time of previous novels I have read by her! So much thought and planning must go into her novels, and it really shows in the complexity and brilliance of the finished work. 

This story is made up of fantastic multiple POVs. I loved all the characters and was never disappointed when the viewpoint shifted, as everyone was so interesting. The friendship between the characters was very special, and I loved the found-family feel to this story. Harriet herself is a complex character who is often hard to like, but very understandable. James develops her really well.

The Reckless Afterlife of Harriet Stoker also explores death, the afterlife, and what makes us human. Fear, love and acceptance are all vital to the story's progression and the characters' growth. 

I also loved the setting - as a Warwick grad especially! I'm not sure this a story I'd want to read right before moving into student halls though. Although, if I was going to move into university accommodation that was already occupied, I'd want it to be by Rima and her friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment