Monday 20 May 2019

A Sky Painted Gold


Growing up in her sleepy Cornish village dreaming of being a writer, seventeen-year-old Lou has always wondered about the grand Cardew house which has stood empty for years. And when the owners arrive for the summer - a handsome, dashing brother and sister - Lou is quite swept off her feet and into a world of moonlit cocktail parties and glamour beyond her wildest dreams.

But, as she grows closer to the Cardews, is she abandoning her own ambitions... And is there something darker lurking at the heart of the Cardew family? {goodreads summary}

I was sold on this novel as soon as I saw someone compare Wood's writing to Eva Ibbotson. Ibbotson was one of my childhood favourites, so I knew I needed to read this! Here are three things I loved about A Sky Painted Gold:

1. The era. This novel has reminded me that I should really, really read more historical fiction! Wood effortlessly transports you to 1920s Cornwall through music, relationship dynamics and plenty of fashion. This would be a beautiful story to see on screen. 

2. Family dynamics. I love the different family relationships shown in A Sky Painted Gold. Lou and Alice's relationship was really special, and the rest of Lou's family were a lot of fun to read about - some of the Aunt Irene moments made me laugh a lot. There were also some great moments that showed how easy it is to read too much into someone's body language and behaviour, and completely misinterpret it. 

3. It had a romance worthy of a Jane Austen novel. I was reminded so much of my favourite Austen couples while reading about Lou and Robert. This novel is getting compared to a lot of great works of literature (and deservedly so), and Pride and Prejudice should be one of them. 

I cannot wait for Wood's next YA novel - Under a Dancing Star - to come out later this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment