Monday 13 May 2019

The Bear and the Nightingale


At the edge of the Russian wilderness, winter lasts most of the year and the snowdrifts grow taller than houses. But Vasilisa doesn't mind—she spends the winter nights huddled around the embers of a fire with her beloved siblings, listening to her nurse's fairy tales. Above all, she loves the chilling story of Frost, the blue-eyed winter demon, who appears in the frigid night to claim unwary souls. Wise Russians fear him, her nurse says, and honor the spirits of house and yard and forest that protect their homes from evil. {goodreads summary}

The Bear and the Nightingale is not a book to read in the summer. This is one you should save for the end of the year, when the wind is howling outside your window and you can snuggle in a blanket with a hot cup of tea while you read. Here are three things I loved about the Bear and the Nightingale:

1. It was so atmospheric. I read the second half of this novel on holiday, while we were trapped inside for a few days by a storm. With the log fire burning and the incessant sound of rain hitting the windows, I felt utterly transported into the world of this story. 

2. The world building and mythology is superb. I know nothing about Russian folklore, but I never felt lost or confused. 

3. I loved the use of prophecy as a way of foreshadowing events to come, while still keeping you guessing about exactly how those events would play out. 

I will definitely finish this series, but I'm going to wait until November/December time to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment