Monday 7 September 2020

A Poem for Every Autumn Day

A perfect poetry collection for ushering in crisp mornings and coolers evenings.

This beautiful collection contains every poem you'd expect given the title. I haven't thought of one I would have liked to see included and isn't, and I've discovered lots of new poems while reading. 

There are plenty of the poems I remember from GCSE English (and I say that fondly, as someone who really enjoyed reading and analysing poetry in school!) But also lots of newer poems - an extract from Sarah Crossan's One about returning to school, and Kenn Nesbitt's Xbox Xbox - A Love Poem. 

Many of the poems are atmospheric, conjuring images of fiery leaves, cold winds and bonfires. They are perfect for reading as the season turns, tucked up under a blanket on a chilly evening. 

But Autumn is more than just a change in the weather, and A Poem for Every Autumn Day reflects this.  Early September poems mention the return to school, November includes war poetry for Remembrance day, and the poems for the 31st October are an extract from John Kendrick Bangs' Hallowe'en and the memorably creepy verse sung by Roald Dahl's Witches. 

I also really enjoyed the short paragraphs of context included in with each poem, which aided my understanding of poems I hadn't come across before and increased my enjoyment of them. 

A Poem for Every Autumn Day is a lovely addition to Macmillan and Esiri's poetry series, and I look forward to seeing how they expand on it with such beautiful, thoughtful collections. 

No comments:

Post a Comment