Friday 11 September 2020

Just Another Little Lie - author Q&A!

Just Another Little Lie is a heartbreaking yet sensitive look at alcohol abuse. Vi's mum is drinking more and more. She forgets to pick Vi's little brother up from school, and cancels appointments to spend the day in bed. She promises Vi that things will get better, but as things begin to spiral out of control, Vi isn't sure if she can trust her anymore. 

I was very, very fortunate to be able to ask author Eve Ainsworth some questions about this very special book. 


What inspired you to write Just Another Little Lie?

I've wanted to write a teen novel focusing on alcoholism for quite a while now. It is something I have had direct experience of growing up (my older brother died of alcoholism) and it was also something that I dealt with a lot in schools when I was supporting students. I think that this is often a misunderstood area and also I believe that a lot of young people have to deal with a heavy drinker in their family. It can be a very difficult and challenging thing to deal with.


What do you hope readers take away from Vi's story?

I hope that readers can feel empathy for Vi and understand the situation she has been put in. I also hope that others that are in a similar situation might feel that they are not alone and that it is not shameful to ask for help, or to accept it.  


There were a lot of points in this story which brought me to tears. Which moment was the hardest to write?

I'm sorry it brought you to tears, it is an emotional story. If I'm honest, this has been one of the hardest books for me to write because I tapped into a lot of personal experience and memory. I think the scenes with Vi's little brother were particularly tricky as I always get upset when little children are scared or confused! 


While Vi's mother makes some terrible mistakes over the course of the story, she is never presented as the 'villain' and is ultimately someone readers will feel a lot of sympathy for. How difficult was this to achieve?

It was important to me that Vi's mother wasn't portrayed as a villain and I want the reader to feel empathy towards her and understand that she cannot help her actions. She has an illness which she is struggling to deal with. I think it helped that I had personal experience of living with an alcoholic. I know how difficult and challenging it can be, but I also know that the person inside is very ill and needs help and support. 


I can't stop thinking about how Vi's story would be impacted in our current situation, with many children having been cut off from vital family support, especially from elderly relatives, during lockdowns. I know this won't have been something you thought about while writing, but is it something you have reflected on recently?

Oh yes definitely. I've been talking about this recently with ex-colleagues that I used to work with in schools. It's very concerning that many young people will be isolated at home in possibly quite difficult situations. That's why it's so important that we continue to raise awareness through books, social media and other channels.  We need to keep talking and raising awareness.


What makes writing for Barrington Stoke so special?

Barrington Stoke are such a wonderful publisher, they are so pro-active and encouraging and are really, really passionate about getting young people reading, especially those who might otherwise struggle. Having worked with dyslexic and reluctant readers in the past, I know how important this is. Barrington Stoke remove the barriers to reading, by ensuring they have a fully inclusive range of books that readers will want to read! It really is inspiring.


Which other Barrington Stoke stories would you recommend to readers who enjoy Just Another Little Lie?

I think The Disconnect by Keren David would be a good choice, or Anthony McGowan's Lark.


Have you read much over the past few months? If so, what has been your favourite?

I have been reading - but it's been a huge mix of children’s, adult and non-fiction. One book that I finished recently was Kerry Dewery's The Last Paper Crane, which was just wonderful.



Thank you so much Eve for taking the time to answer my questions, and to Barrington Stoke for sending me a copy of Just Another Little Lie to review. 

If you would like to read the opening of Just Another Little Lie you can do so at Barrington Stoke

No comments:

Post a Comment